Dad loves ties, but not just any old tie. He likes ties that stand up and pay attention – the kind of tie that many would find tacky or over-done. Flowers, characters, people, scenes, and the brighter the better – these were the types of ties that Dad loved. He’d wear them proudly to the office, on social outings, and even when traveling. Often times, he’d also leave a trail of startled people in his wake, to his great delight. “I’m just waking them up and adding a bit of spice to their life,” he’d cackle gleefully, when his somewhat loud ties were remarked upon. Dad’s birthday was last year and of course he got more ties. His birthday had gradually evolved into a competition between his family and closest friends – each vying for who would find the best tie for him. This year, that dubious honor went to his brother, Mark. In total, Dad got five new ties for his birthday, all of them new designs. Determine the full name of each person who gave Dad a tie, what was on each tie, and the relationship of each person to Dad.
1. Sylvia’s last name wasn’t Smith. Elliot brought Dad a tie with a sailboat on it.
2. The person who brought the tie with the music notes was Dad’s cousin.
3. Mr. Thomas was Dad’s uncle. Mark didn’t bring the tie with Bette Boop on it.
4. Miranda, whose last name wasn’t Parker, brought him a tie with lightning bolts on it.
5. The person who brought the tie with Bette Boop on it wasn’t Mr. Pacht.
6. The friends who brought Dad ties were Harold and the person whose last name was Weather.
file size 154 KB
If you enjoyed
this puzzle and want to play another one online, go
here for another online logic problem.
March 15, 2009