This on line version of River Crossing™ lets you get a feel for the
game by playing four sample games; two beginner and two
You start the game on the left side of
the board; your object is to cross the river (the blue box) and
end at the red dot on the right side. To accomplish this, you need
to move the yellow planks across the playing grid until one of
your planks reaches the right side.
How to Play
To move a plank, simply click on it
(which shadows it into an outline), and then click on the spot
where you want the plank to be placed next. If it's a legal move,
the computer will let you do it; if not, figure out what you've
done wrong and then make a legal move. It will help to note that
planks that you can move legally are bounded by yellow stumps,
planks that can't be moved legally connect to brown stumps.
These challenges start out easy. Give it a try and you'll get the
hang of it!
• No jumping is allowed between stumps or planks or from a stump
• The Hiker can pick up and move or carry a plank if one end
touches the stump where he is standing.
• The Hiker can only pick up or carry one plank at a time.
• Planks must be supported between stumps on both ends, and must
be an exact fit.
• Planks can't be placed diagonally, only north-south or
• Planks can't support other planks.
• Planks can't be stacked.
• Planks can't cross over other stumps or planks in the way.